Logo

Battery Light on, Won't turn over

Johnnymax

We replaced the batteries and one was connected up backwards (The negative wire was red and used to have black tape on it, I guess) I checked the fuses and they are all fine.
When I put the key in the ignition the battery light stays red. When I try to start, nothing happens.
I have a Honda 250 4-stroke about 5 years old. It is on a boat we just bought.
I feel so screwed.
Help if you can....

S4IT happens. Everyone makes mistakes.

Before assuming the worst....as in something got damaged due to reverse polarity....
....first try going over all the main connections for the cables. This includes the ones at the 1-2-both switch, the starter solenoid, and the main ground connection at the engine block.

All connections MUST be clean and shiny for reliable operation. This would also include the connections at the batteries if you didn't give them your best attention when you had those apart.

If you didn't see smoke or smell anything burning, you may have avoided damaging anything. Boats are notorious for dirty, corroded cable connections so try the wire brush on those critical connections before hitting the panic button.

I think that the worst that may have happened due to reversing the cables would be that it somehow effected the main relay. Yes, it is expensive but probably won't break your bank.

Good luck.

Okay, first up, the 150amp fuse which is held in by 2 screws and sits above the row of plastic fuses, is the main alternator output protection, will almost always blow when polarity is reversed, this will not affect the running of the engine apart from not charging
Does the alarm beep twice when you turn the key on ?If so, check and make sure you are in neutral by shift into gear and back into neutral, it may simply be a neutral switch lock out.Let me know how you go.

Had something similar happen to me. In my case the darn cable was marked incorrectly AND hooked up backwards!

I would advise you to confirm battery polarity at the motor - easily done with a volt meter. Make sure the ground wire really is the ground wire.

THANKS EVERYONE!
I did everything suggested, plus retrimmed the motor all the way down, messed with the throttle position and the kill switch.
She fire up! :)

Back