Logo

Lancer Problems

I have a 1972 CC Lancer with a 350Q. I have a feeling that possibly someone along the way put a different engine in the boat. The tag on the heat exchanger says that it is a 350QL and a different firing order than what it's running on. It also doesn't have the CC intake on it. Just the standard GM intake. So standing in the boat facing the back of boat looking at flywheel, ( flywheel forward ) the flywheel spins clock wise. The distributer, looking the same direction turns clock wise. My question is do I have a left or right hand engine? I know that there are many ways to look at this engine and describe what I'm talking about. The reason I ask is because I built this engine last year. When I ordered the parts I ordered a reverse rotation rear main seal. Thats what I thought I had because the prop is reverse rotation. Now Im having oil leaking. It's covering the inside of the starter nose cone and two bolts under the rear main. When it runs there is a fine mist of oil in the engine compartment. I need a little help. If I put the wrong seal in I'm ok with that just don't want to tear engine down if I did put the right seal in. Maybe it could be the adapter for oil filter or an oil galley plug loose. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! Matt T.

Ok that’s good to know. So I did put the right seal in. Lol. I pulled the engine yesterday and it’s now in the my shop. Today I took the distributer out and manually pressured up the oil system with a drill. I did not find any leaks other than where my oil sensor was. I have two a manual one and an electronic one. Both were leaking. Do you think that a brand new seal would go bad. I have put 5 hrs on this rebuild. Didn’t leak oil first couple of hours. Only the last hour or so did I notice oil in the bilge area. Enough to coat everything.

Thanks
Matt T

the sender units are exposed to significant pressure (unlike, say, a timing or valve cover) and any leak could produce a mess in short order.....so, I'd say what you found in the bilge shouldn't be a surprise based on the sender...

Looking at the flywheel, clockwise rotation = RH engine = reverse rotation....

.... and prop rotation does not necessarily indicate engine RH vs LH... Volvo drives support both RH and LH prop rotation with the position of a link under the back cover...

The tag on the heat exchanger says that it is a 350QL and a different firing order than what it's running on.
The SBC STD LH rotation firing order will be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
The SBC REV RH rotation firing order will be 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8

The number 1 cylinder will always be the furthest cylinder forward.

It also doesn't have the CC intake on it. Just the standard GM intake.
*** So standing in the boat facing the back of boat looking at flywheel, ( flywheel forward ) the flywheel spins clock wise.
All engine rotation is determined by facing and viewing the flywheel end.
If the flywheel turns CCW, it will be a STD LH rotation engine.

If the flywheel turns CW, it will be a REV RH rotation engine.

The distributer, looking the same direction turns clock wise.
Yes, due to the oil pump rotation, either rotation engine will spin the distributor in the same direction.

My question is do I have a left or right hand engine?
According to the *** sentence above, you have a REV RH Rotation engine. It doesn't matter what installation you have....... standard flywheel facing AFT, or the goofy Chris Craft flywheel facing forward.

I know that there are many ways to look at this engine and describe what I'm talking about.
Here are a few examples showing a goof proof means to determine engine rotation:

attachment.php

nMW82qmtMruL8cVmpUqUijEPOHlvmbhdYNGC5rJ10rgflj9lWsESoVG0CXcTcV0P-wysnRF0NJ8yP-WdrWZQFvIh8Ks2Ng12JAjk-NIZX9nEXEVAOeXFtNJYLhdTcLQeMTzt

attachment.php

The reason I ask is because I built this engine last year. When I ordered the parts I ordered a reverse rotation rear main seal. Thats what I thought I had because the prop is reverse rotation.
Some transmissions (in twin engine scenarios) are "opposite of engine rotation capable".

images

Now Im having oil leaking. It's covering the inside of the starter nose cone and two bolts under the rear main. When it runs there is a fine mist of oil in the engine compartment. I need a little help. If I put the wrong seal in I'm ok with that just don't want to tear engine down if I did put the right seal in.
The correct seal (as in RH or LH rotation) is important.
The fine sirations in the seal lip will either wick oil back into the crankcase area (as they should), or will wick oil towards the exterior.

Keep in mind that both the rear main seal AND the harmonic balancer seal must be correct for the rotation!

Maybe it could be the adapter for oil filter or an oil galley plug loose. Any help would be appreciated.
For that, you will need to investigate.

Thanks! Matt T.

Back