Logo

Rectifier replacement with MOSFET regulator. Evinrude 55 1979

SwedishTinker

Hello friendly people...

About the Evinrude 1979 5975C 55HP.

Don't we all love gasoline powered battery chargers?
Wouldn't it be nice to have the battery charge a bit when out cruising around the archipelago?
And how about that nice comfy feeling that the starter battery is'nt dead when calm is over before the storm, and you wanna get home ASAP?

On my motor, this distant second means we have to fix some ****.

Well guess what, my rectifier seemed doomed, did the DIODE measurement, but didn't get much.
So, removed it and killed it even further with a heat-gun. Melted the epoxy and took a look on the diodes.
By the time i had dug out the diodes, some were broken off, so, probably why it did not charge according to previous owner.

An upgrade possibility presented itself.
Replace the old rectifier with a real MOSFET regulator.

I believe my 3-phase stator only can produce about 6A@14v (after rectifier) at 5000 rpm or so,
but having heard about friends charging outboard batteries at 17V it seemed like a regulator is good route to go, not just replacing the diode bridge.

If you have any advice, please advice.

Anyway, I have now ordered a

"Voltage Regulator Rectifier Upgrade Kit For Shindengen Mosfet FH020AA Motors"

Description:

- 100% New Voltage Regulator / Rectifier Upgrade Kit
- Manufacturer Part Number: FH020AA
- This is a universal regulator/rectifier kit and charging system upgrade kit.
- The kit can be used to upgrade most 2 wire and 3 wire stator systems.
- This rectifier has overheat protection, rather than burn up it will simply turn off for a while and cool off.
- This regulator can handle up to 50amp peaks & 30amp continuous 3 phase, 30amp single phase.

Specification:
- Size(L*W*H): 90mm*80mm*22mm/3.54* 3.15*0.87inch
Package Includes:
1 Piece Voltage Regulator Rectifier

MOSFET-regulator.jpg

Last edited:
CDI electronics makes a regulator rectifier upgrade.

Thank you for this info! I missed this, because at the CDI website there seems to be no direct fit for my motor:
http://www.cdielectronics.com/cdi-a...tr=55&search_sender=partApplicationSearchForm

But I would guess this is the one that could fit my motor with other connectors. http://www.cdielectronics.com/product/193-5114/

Anywhow, now i'm on the mosfet regulator track, so i guess that's the route i'm taking for now.

I intend do update thread when it's installed and tested.

Your engine has a three phase stator and the CDI is only a single phase rectifier.
Looks like your original selection may be the correct one.

Update:

I've now installed the MOSFET regulator rectifier.
Total price was 26$ incl shipping. ;)

Seems to be workning good.

I have about 15.2 volt charging, and 13.2 volt at the battery, engine off, after a nice day on the bay.
I'm happy with that.

Installation,... well, i's in there. :)
MOSFET-2020.png

Wiring diagram for the fh020aa:
fh020aa-wiring-diagram-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back