Logo

Chrysler 318 coolant in oil - New rebuild; no cracks; gaskets OK

chrysler318

I have a pair of fresh water cooled 1978 Chrysler 318s, one regular, one reverse rotation rebuilt several years ago by a competent rebuilder. The motors sat for several years until I installed them into my boat last year and splashed. I had fuel issues that kept me from running the boat last year so the motors had basically zero hours.

This year, I wanted to run the motors thoroughly on land before launch and while running the engine, I had a hard time 'burping the coolant out of the system on the starboard motor. I happened to check the oil and there was a lot of coolant mixed in--milkshake. I'm pretty sure it was coolant, but it could have been raw water from the hose.

I changed the oil and filter and restarted the motor and it started and ran perfectly, but I did not want to run the motor until I solved the leak.

So I pulled the heads but did not see anything out of place.

Head gasket: perfect with clean sealing surfaces on the head and block
Head and block: No signs of any cracks
Intake manifold gasket: Looked ok
Gasket on exhaust manifold to the riser: looked like it was intact and not leaking

I am out of ideas as to where the coolant is coming from. Is it possible that the coolant is leaking into the crankcase from the water pump?

The port engine was rebuild exactly at the same time by the same rebuilder and is operating perfectly.

Here are some images I took of the components. If something looks out of place, please let me know. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/RT8LSvM

I imagine the chain case cover could leak. I know aluminums have corroded through. Did you notice a drop in the coolant level?

Back