Logo

Problem 4hp Johnson outboard

Psycon

Hey all.
So I have recently acquired a Johnson 4hp 1996 outboard. When I first took it out it would run but got bogged down and died and I couldnt restart it. I serviced the carb and found a lot of crap in the fuel filter, so i replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the jets in the carb. The second time i took it out the tell tale stopped pumping water out of it which cut my trip again. I decided that i would fit a new water pump and changed the gear lube while I was doing it. I just took the engine out again and it will run half throttle no problem but when I open her up it will run for about a min but then bog down and almost stop. The water coming out of the engine is pretty warm but not hot. I am now thinking could it be overheating somehow? Any ideas before I take off the head and check all the water channels are clear? Btw while I had the gearbox off I did put a hose onto the water intake and water came out fine. Its beginning to get frustrating :(

Check the compression and the spark which should jump a 1/4 ' open air gap on a spark tester.

Last edited:
Since you already know that there's trash in the fuel system take a good look at the tank and lines to see if there is not more crud restricting the fuel flow.

Unfortunatly I dont have a compression tester but it does run fine until about 1 min of full throttle. I did check the fuel tank and lines once I realised the filter was blocked. I flushed out the fuel tank and there was a bit more rubbish in there. Now I know it's clear. On a side note i did notice the tube going to the bladder didn't have a cable tie on it so could this possibly have been leaking air? I have not put one on there so hopefully it may run better now.

Back