Logo

1996 Johnson 112 2 cycle- runs great for 20 minutes and then stalls

jwunderdog

The last 3 times I have been out and run the engine at high rpms the engine just stops after 20 minutes. I wait 10 minutes and it starts again. At low rpms I can run it for hours with no problems. I am guessing power pack or fuel line? When it stalls the primer bulb will not get hard for the 10 minutes I am waiting, but then will get hard after I wait the 10 minutes. The last time this happened I checked the fuel/water seperator and it was only 1/2 full of fuel not sure if that is normal or not?

The last 3 times I have been out and run the engine at high rpms the engine just stops after 20 minutes. I wait 10 minutes and it starts again. At low rpms I can run it for hours with no problems. I am guessing power pack or fuel line? When it stalls the primer bulb will not get hard for the 10 minutes I am waiting, but then will get hard after I wait the 10 minutes. The last time this happened I checked the fuel/water seperator and it was only 1/2 full of fuel not sure if that is normal or not?
Run it on another tank and hose. Take cowling off and see if motor has overheated (feel top of heads).

Check that the tank vent is free of trash, if air can't get in to replace the fuel going to the engine it will build up a vacuum in the tank and stop the fuel flow and that often takes about 20 min. As a test just wait till you have a problem and take the fuel cap off or just loosen it and see if there is a sucking noise and the primer bulb then works.

Run it on another tank and hose. Take cowling off and see if motor has overheated (feel top of heads).

What would be considered too Hot? My motor sets an alarm off when it gets to hot from when water isn't running through the system. Would this be a different type of overheating that the alarm wouldn't pick up?

Thanks

What would be considered too Hot? My motor sets an alarm off when it gets to hot from when water isn't running through the system. Would this be a different type of overheating that the alarm wouldn't pick up?

Thanks
When the alarm sounds,its too hot.have you tested you alarm lately?

Another idea, take a spray can of starting fluid or throttle body cleaner with you and after the engine dies and the fuel bulb is verified to not be working give the carb a shot with one of those sprays and see of the engine will start. If it does then the problem is definitely fuel delivery and not your engine.

Ended up replacing power pack- fixed problem. Thanks for the responses.

Back