Logo

05 F25 Electric Start Question

FishinLite

Regular Contributor
I have a F25 Electric start that I believe has a problem. I know it is not fuel or spark because ultimately it starts just fine. I can charge the battery completely. I stick the key in and turn, it goes click, click, click, the starter will barely move. Then the starter will kick in and it will start just fine. The first thought it was the battery, but I have replace the battery. Taken it fresh off the charger, use the jump pack, always the same.

Looking for input, is there a way to test the components. Is it the solenoid? Is it the starter? Have you had similar problems? What was the solution?

Thanks

Hello Rw,

My battery connections are clean and are secured with a flat washers and a 1/2" hex nuts.

I do own a voltmeter and am very familiar with its use. I am a retired electrical engineer and installed industrial automation for 45 years.

I have owned this motor for 9 years. It sits on the back of my small pontoon boat on a fresh water lake. When I got the boat and and motor it started like my car.

For the last two maybe three seasons it has decided to start acting up.

I could throw money at it, new solenoid, new starter, another new battery.... It could even be as simple as the corrosion in side the crimp ends of the battery cable.

Since I am retired, I would prefer to fix it the first time with a minimal expense.

I was looking for someone with similar experience and a known solution.

Thanks for your insight.
Fishin

Put the voltmeter red probe directly on the positive lead to the starter motor. Put the voltmeter black probe on a clean ground point on the block. Meter set to DV volts.

Have someone turn the key to the start position. While the starter motor attempts to crank the motor what voltage do you see?

Back