Logo

Water will not draw or pump on its own

becoleman3

I have a:
1987 OMC Stern Drive 4.3L 432APARY Stern Drive

and just replaced the water impeller, housing, etc. The engine is cooling fine if I use a flusher but when I put the lower unit in water it will not draw and pump on it's own. However if I put the flusher on it while it is in the tank of water and then take it off it draws and pumps the water and keeps the engine cool. Any suggestions on why this is and methods of trouble shooting.

I will check the impeller housing for cracks, but would think water would be coming out of it; guessing it is drawing air from somewhere.

Thanks,

Boyd

I have a:
1987 OMC Stern Drive 4.3L 432APARY Stern Drive

and just replaced the water impeller, housing, etc. The engine is cooling fine if I use a flusher but when I put the lower unit in water it will not draw and pump on it's own. However if I put the flusher on it while it is in the tank of water and then take it off it draws and pumps the water and keeps the engine cool. Any suggestions on why this is and methods of trouble shooting.

I will check the impeller housing for cracks, but would think water would be coming out of it; guessing it is drawing air from somewhere.

Thanks,

Boyd

I think I figured it out; there is an intake on the upper part of the lower unit that fills the lower unit so it doesn't have to draw as much. After I lifted the tank so I could fill up over the top of those hole the water started to draw and pump on it's own. This is the only year I never raised the tank that high.

Ayuh,..... Impeller pumps are "Flooded Entry" pumps,... they will not suck water,.....

That's why we use muffs, 'n not tanks,.....

Back