Logo

First time boat and force owner screwed

Codyh

We bought our first boat, me and my son grew up poor and he always wanted a boat, so I saved three thousand dollars and say a deal on Facebook. We know nothing about boats but the people seemed like good people and claimed ready to fish..

My son was excited and I bought it on trusting those people.

i take it for the first time and it broke 10 minutes in the ride and had to get pulled back to the dock.

the starter was out, the troll motor foot pedal Is out... 😞

texted people I bought it from for help and no response.

replaced Starter at shop, went take it out, 20 minutes later it killed. Called the mechanic and he came ride to dock. Noticed no water was spitting, took back to shop and impeller? Was missing 3 teeth and nothing but a huge pile of sand fell out. We never went anywheres with sand.

we ordered replacement impeller kit and thermastat, but mechanic called and now says the exhaust gasket is leaking? The head compression is good though 150 on each cylinder it’s a 50hp.

He said the exhaust gasket to change is a big job, because you have to remove everything...

he said it’s a small leak, Does this need to be changed or can I get by without repairing it?

im already an extra 1000.00 in parts and labor already. The person I bought from won’t answer phone calls or texts. Bought boat a week ago.

Save your money on the lawyer most states consider private sales as is. Buy a factory manual and you and your son can enjoy the experience of working on your motor. But before you spend another dime on that motor do a compression test!!

Last edited:
Save your money on the lawyer most states consider private sales as is. Buy a factory manual and you and your son can enjoy the experience of working on your motor. But before you spend another dime on that motor do a compression test!!
Best advice right here! I bought a SELOC manual and am installing a thermostat. I have a feeling this outboard is going to teach me an dthe kids a lot about working on outboards!

what's the condition of the boat? transom is ok?
I got a 1989 Bayliner Carpri with a 85HP force, issues on the motor and a bad transom. It has always been a concern how far to go with the repairs. I decided back then that if I could get the motor to run decently then I would fix the transom, I did, then other issues came by so I have not finished fixing this boat for over 8 years now.
This was inherited from an uncle so it has history in the family and I decided to keep going, today motor runs and I have been able to go fishing but there's always something to be fixed, the transom was repaired, I changed the floors, and I'm planning to do some upholstery after that, but as said I'm just doing this because the history of the boat, for any other boater I wouldn't recommend to go to all this unless you enjoy fixing stuff.
I have seen in many threads they don't recommend Force Motors in my opinion they are easy to fix, parts are available in ebay not very expensive, so if you have good compression in the cylinders I believe you will be able to make it work.

good luck!

Back