Logo

Original boat decals wanted

kirkll

Regular Contributor
I have just purchased a 1990 Blue Water Executive Cuddy I and want to get it polished up. The original “Blue Water” decals were gone, and basic block letter decals were used to replace the original lettering.

does anyone know where I can locate some original decal lettering?

also what is the best technique to use removing decal sticker from the hull without damaging the paint and finish? Thanks Kirk

Use a heat gun to get the main stickers off. Typically, that will leave a shadow of the originals on the hull, which are a PITA to remove. In the past, I've use acetone to get off as much as possible, then a very fine rubbing compound to remove what's left.

I just called a sign place and they had a minimum charge of at least $75, for one decal. Not sure what I'll do, at this point.

If you have tracing paper, tape it over the decals you want to copy and use a fine tipped pencil to create an outline at the edge of the letters. It requires patience, but it's the best way to get a good copy. Use tape if the edges have gaps and trim it close to the original shape. If the gaps are in areas where it's a straight line, you can fix it with a straightedge after tracing.

Back