Logo

1960 Gale 35 hp gears

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
Hi guys. I have a 1960 Gale 35 hp. Mechanically, its basically a johnson. I was wondering if the forward and reverse gear in the clamshell/lowerunit are the same?...like can they be reversed if the forward gear's inner shift lobes are getting rounded? seeing that the reverse gear shows less wear, and seeing that the reverse gear is less likely to jump outm of gear because it doesn't take the same workload...Thanks

It can be done by swapping the brass bushings from one to the other. Forward gear has a pressed-in bushing, reverse has a floating bushing. Gears are otherwise the same.

It can be done by swapping the brass bushings from one to the other. Forward gear has a pressed-in bushing, reverse has a floating bushing. Gears are otherwise the same.

Okay thank you. Why the difference in bushings?....Seems like both gears being stationary aside from rotation it wouldn't matter.....maybe I'm missing something?

It matters because while running in forward gear (which is most of the time) the forward gear and prop shaft are turning together (gear not spinning on the shaft), but the reverse gear is spinning in the opposite direction from the shaft thus the slip fit bushing doubles the bearing surface.

You have to switch the bushings !!--------Or try it without switching the bushings.-------You will quickly see that nothing will fit / line up correctly.

Back