Logo

Costco marine battery is starter or deep cycle?

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
Costco marine battery is starter or deep cycle?

This https://www.costco.com/interstate-27dc-marine--rv-battery.product.100476408.html

This will be the third season w/ this battery being used as a starter. Previously I’ve always had to replace the auto stores start battery every year and I only go boating 5-6
times a year long weekends 3-4 days unless the conditions offshore are desireable then go more often.

Last cruise was 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] week in nov.019 this battery is still at 12VDC may have recharged mid feb.

So what type battery is this? And should I feel lucky it’s stil holding a charge?
Thanks STB

DC stands for "deep cycle" which means that the grid plates are solid not open lattice. There's also more lead inside (thus the 50lbs weight) That means that it can take and hold a charge for longer period but is not very happy giving up electrons in short quick bursts. This is a marathon runner. For starting, you need a sprinter. Any start battery should be OK. There are also hybrid start/deep cycle that combine the characteristics of both to land somewhere in the middle.
But this particular battery is for running the "house" loads like lighting, pumps, etc.

dam so I've been using a deep cycle for starting. it seams to be working fine as a start battery. can I continue using the DC. it's the only battery on the vessel. I'll eventually have 2 batteries start and DC.

previously I've always bought a new start battery every year which sucks because vessel is seldom used. like this year AL has seriously iratated me again w/ closing red snapper season early even when all restaurants are closed the commercial fleet isn't rapping the RS.
AL is corrupt w/ there regulations last year they got mad because trump reopened RS after AL closed it after 3 days AL got mad addded a $10. permit for any reef fish dam w/ storms flu ect who wants to go boating. rant over.

thanks for explaining this to me.

weird that costco doesn't have start batteries I was thinking the costco was a combonation type for start or DC.

Last edited:
If that hybrid start/deep cycle fully charge two year old battery is depleted to no charge (click, click) and then given a battery tender recharge .. whats the quality of that battery now? Life?

the battery isn't a hybrid just regular deep cycle it has basically sat since nov.2019 when I ran stabil fuel conditioner though engine.

I tested it couple months ago it was at 12. I think .1 (12.1VDC)

last week I connected a 5watt solar charger/maintainer it's a extremely slow charger but after a few days the voltage has increased to 12.59VDC w/ the charger connected how high can I expect/want the voltage to increase?

Ya, I know just trying to use the terminology in the thread that 02batsea used. I counted and I own 9 batteries between the boat (2), the 3 power-sports and the 4/3 cars. I'm moving to a AGM, type 24, batteries for the boat.

Yes looked solar chargers, its definitely a option, but I have an option to run 350' of 14 Gage UF-B wire to the boat. In the long run it will be more beneficial to me
[h=1][/h]

Back