Logo

Yamaha- 40 hp enduro outboard. Overheated and stopped. Need help to assess the damage.

bigdockbuilder

Hello Everyone, We have a 40 hp enduro on one of our small workboat. I think its a 2000. But I will post the serial number later today.

I was running it home the other night and it started to stutter ( I assume that was possibly an overheating warning?) so I slowed right now and just idled along expecting to make it home.

Unfortunatley it overheated to the point where it just stopped. I realized then it was very hot. Some slight smoke from under the cowl and some smell.

I got towed home. Pulled the motor. Did a compression test and its 120lbs each cylinder.

I am sure some damage was done. But what ar ethe next steps. Do i pull the head off?

It was peeing water out but maybe it wasnt enough ...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello, Just reposting this. We have the motor on a stan din the shop now. I am going to order an impellor kit and thermostat for this engine.

Serial number E 40MLHY

Compression seems good.

I wondered. Should I pull the head off and put a new head gasket and exhaust gaskets on it too?

If you have good compression you should be good i would think. However you may want to pull the water jacket cover to clean it out.

Back