Logo

Continuity Problem

Sleepwalker

Contributing Member
Good Morning. '86 v-6, points ignition. I've got a no start problem that I've been trouble-shooting. In checking the ignition switch wiring I have encountered a continuity problem. With the wires disconnected from the switch, and the battery disconnected, there is continuity between three of the four wires that are connected to the Ign and the Sol. The manual tells me there should be no continuity between any of the wires when they are removed and the battery disconnected. The three are: Blue wire going to panel light switch, Purple going to Oil pressure gauge, Pink going into the harness. Since the Sol wire is the common thread, is that where I should start? What is the best way to test this? I assume continuity in this case means that something is connected that shouldn't be, is that correct?

Thanks, Rich

I may not be following you completely.

At your throttle/shift unit, you should have a Neutral Safety switch.
The starter motor's solenoid circuit is interrupted when the shift unit is in gear, or is NOT in neutral.
In other words, this switch closes the circuit only when the throttle/shift unit is in Neutral.

Check the function and continuity of this switch and circuit.

Thanks. Will do. When I initially tried to start the engine in May, the starter did turn over. Can this happen and still have a bad safety switch?

Thanks. Will do. When I initially tried to start the engine in May, the starter did turn over. Can this happen and still have a bad safety switch?

I suppose that it could if the safety switch had an intermittent problem.

You can temporarily by-pass the switch (i.e., connect the two wires together) and see if the starter motor solenoid becomes energized.

Thanks Rick. If the safety switch checked out okay, can you think of any reason I would have the continuity between the disconnected Ign wires and the Sol wire in the ignition switch and no battery connected?
And maybe a related question, if the starter cranked ok in "start" but kept cranking when the key was released to "on", does that indicate something wacked in the solenoid?

Continuity checks can be misleading unless BOTH ends of the wire are disconnected, especially when using a DVM.... You can usually get away with a continuity check on an ignition switch; if it is original, you'd be better off looking at the voltage drops across the switch.

The purple should feed the ignition circuit on the engine and is likely the +12VDC source for all the instruments. The START circuit should be a YEL/RED wire which feeds the slave solenoid (starter relay) thru the neutral safety switch on the gear.

Regarding your query on the starter's continued operation, it could be wiring or the solenoid...check the YEL/RED wire at the solenoid for voltage as the ignition switch position changes...

Back