Logo

converting a stern drive to an outboard.

tedstruk

I was gifted an old 17' Larson All-American that had a really bad Iron Duke GM 153 L4 and most of the outdrive was missing. The inside is pretty bad also, but after scrounging some more I found a not so bad, electrical problem only 80 hp Mercury outboard. By putting an outboard on this boat, I can increase the deck size by probably 6 feet, and with some tweaking, turn it into a fairly nice pleasure/fishing craft. The problem is that I have never done any of this before, and because the transom is completely dry rotted, I will need to replace it all. (plugging the hole where the transmission is at is probably going to be a chore) Has anyone completely replaced a sterndrive with an outboard transom, and what are the ideas I need to keep in mind when I cut the stern support that holds the aft section sides together? I want to build a livewell into the outboard swamp box.

I remember at the shop where I worked in about 1970 / 71 where one of those 90 HP OMC 2 stroke inboards was taken out over the winter.-----Transom was changed to accept a 115 HP Johnson.-----Boat speed went from the typical 30 MPH to 42 MPH.------If you have the time then do a full inspection of this Larson.------Change it to an outboard ( takes more time than you think ) and be proud of your work.-----I am doing a complete rework of a ---Action Marine 17----At this time.----Getting rid of all wood and using composite materials / carbon fiber / some Kevlar / West System epoxy.------Money and time wise it makes no sense to do this.------The smiles will be priceless and last forever I think.

Back