Logo

Johnson 40hp elecromatic ignition switch issues hi everyone

Danac

Hello everyone,
This is my first time using this so bear with me. I recently bought a 40 horse Johnson electromatic '64 motor with all the controls. I thought I had it all hooked up right but when I turn the key I get nothing if I jump across the solenoid it fires up only if I unhook the controls in the box then I can hook up a controls and turn it off with the switch I know that may sound crazy but that's what's going on. any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm more than willing to dive deeper into the way things are hooked up if someone can help me out. I think the issue is at the ignition I just need to talk to someone that can walk me through making sure I've got all the wires on the right connectors and if I need to hook anything else up that hasn't been hooked up. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks so much.
-Dana

Thanks so much for the quick response. I have liked at the wiring diagram, and done my best to hook everything up, but I'm still not able to start it. I even went and got a new solenoid but still nothing. I'm asking for some hand holding on getting these words hooked up right.
Find your wiring diagram on -----mastertech marine--------maxrules

Find the safety switch under the flywheel.-----Check it out / clean it / adjust it.-----If throttle is advanced too far the starter will not operate.

Ok, cleaned the safety switch, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I have wired up the ignition switch as best I think it should be. white to s, Black to m, black/wht to m, red/wht to a along with red from throttle cable (blue and green to blue and green), grey to ground. Brown wire I don't know where to put.

I can out in on position and start by jumping across new solenoid and then I can shut off with key, but can not get motor to turn over when moving ignition switch to start.
Please help, if possible call (805)441-5271

Ok, cleaned the safety switch, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I have wired up the ignition switch as best I think it should be. white to s, Black to m, black/wht to m, red/wht to a along with red from throttle cable (blue and green to blue and green), grey to ground. Brown wire I don't know where to put.

I can out in on position and start by jumping across new solenoid and then I can shut off with key, but can not get motor to turn over when moving ignition switch to start.
Please help, if possible call (805)441-5271

Back