Logo

New to me 95 Alpha 1 Prep

UTBMXCruiser

V8 alpha 1 Merc with 500 hours on the clock. PO says a 350 GM small block but I have yet to verify the numbers. The PO says it has a slight leak letting water in out back that I need to address. I have not put it in the water yet as I want to evaluate and test it out in a bucket. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should look at for and replace parts that would potentially cause me problems? I've got a manual for the motor and outdrive on the way this week. Want to replace the impeller pump and most likely that boot that I assume may be leaking. What else should I look for? I got a fairly good price buying this 95 Galaxie 22' deck boat and I'm willing to throw some money at it to get it back in top shape. It needs to be as reliable as I can get it as you might imagine.  I've done my on auto repair work my whole life with quite a bit of experience with a small block Chevy, just not in a marine application. I've owned 2 boats in my younger days with outboards but never an inboard outboard.

Thanks in advance for any advice given to get this thing going right out of the box.

I have not put it in the water yet as I want to evaluate and test it out in a bucket.

Ayuh,...... Get a set of muffs,..... Runnin' an I/O in a bucket, is a guarantied smoked impeller,.....

As mentioned get a set of muffs
Do the water pump and I'd replace the thermostat in the engine unless it was recently done
Inspect ignition components, belts and hoses on engine, replace as needed
Unless verified recently done (receipt from mechanic) change engine oil/filter, drive lube, fuel filter- inspect contents of fuel filter for anything but clean gasoline. Any crud may need to clean fuel system including carb...
If you have a leak in back do the entire transom kit with all three bellows , and water hose. Inspect gimbal bearing, ujoints, and coupler (through gimbal bearing with flashlight look at spline condition). If ujoint bellows are leaking gimbal bearing, ujoints, and drive input seal are likely to get damaged/corroded
Check engine alignment adjust as needed.
Pressure test drive before you slap it back on reseal if it fails.

SBC in this is similar to truck or industrial engine, boat is like you have a loaded truck towing a trailer up hill all the time

Tools needed-
muffs
alignment bar
pressure test drive set up can buy or fab
Big slide hammer to pull gimbal (I have fabbed a 1/2 azzed puller out of 1/2 threaded rod and fender washer that sort of works)
Driver to drive gimbal in they make tools or Ive used 3" sch40 pvc pipe and a 1" dia wooden dowl - just have to evenly drive the outer race in

As mentioned get a set of muffs
Do the water pump and I'd replace the thermostat in the engine unless it was recently done
Inspect ignition components, belts and hoses on engine, replace as needed
Unless verified recently done (receipt from mechanic) change engine oil/filter, drive lube, fuel filter- inspect contents of fuel filter for anything but clean gasoline. Any crud may need to clean fuel system including carb...
If you have a leak in back do the entire transom kit with all three bellows , and water hose. Inspect gimbal bearing, ujoints, and coupler (through gimbal bearing with flashlight look at spline condition). If ujoint bellows are leaking gimbal bearing, ujoints, and drive input seal are likely to get damaged/corroded
Check engine alignment adjust as needed.
Pressure test drive before you slap it back on reseal if it fails.

SBC in this is similar to truck or industrial engine, boat is like you have a loaded truck towing a trailer up hill all the time

Tools needed-
muffs
alignment bar
pressure test drive set up can buy or fab
Big slide hammer to pull gimbal (I have fabbed a 1/2 azzed puller out of 1/2 threaded rod and fender washer that sort of works)
Driver to drive gimbal in they make tools or Ive used 3" sch40 pvc pipe and a 1" dia wooden dowl - just have to evenly drive the outer race in

OK I said a bucket but I meant a garbage can full of water along with the muff s, which I have. I don't understand why that would be a problem?

OK I said a bucket but I meant a garbage can full of water along with the muff s, which I have. I don't understand why that would be a problem?

Just need adequate water supply to the inlets on the out drive to prevent the water pump impeller from running dry which will over heat the engine and ruin the impeller.

Not sure how you plan to use the garbage can and the muffs? Muffs on a hose supply enough water if you keep the rpms down to a fast idle.

Yes marinas will use a big tank drop the drive into antifreeze for winterizing, but these are huge like 50-100 gallons to submerge the drive enough to supply adequate water. Also seen people take a 55 gal drum on its side and cut a big rectangular hole in it. to drop the drive in.

Again just need to have enough water, that was the concern when you mentioned a bucket

Back