Logo

81 bayliner 125 AQ

erikwood55

I am new to this forum. I bought a 1981 Bayliner with the 125 volvo penta motor and i am wondering if I can put a different outdrive or atleast find the knuckle joint . I am curious if there are any interchangable parts with other brands or models.

Thanks in advance.

Which Volvo drive??? Bearings (what usually fails) on the "knuckle" a.k.a universal for that era drive is a very standard automotive part. Putting a different outdrive on (particularly a different brand!!) to solve a universal joint issue is like using a hammer to cure a headache. Keeping the drive down and pointed fwd when not in use extends greatly the boot's life ( the failure of which will trash the bearings)... using only OEM bellows and replacing them every couple of seasons is cheap insurance.

I am new to this forum. I bought a 1981 Bayliner with the 125 volvo penta motor and i am wondering if I can put a different outdrive or atleast find the knuckle joint . I am curious if there are any interchangable parts with other brands or models.
When you say Knuckle Joint, are you talking about the universal drive shaft?
If so, this can be replaced and/or refurbished with new bearing crosses.

Thanks in advance.

Which Volvo drive??? Bearings (what usually fails) on the "knuckle" a.k.a universal for that era drive is a very standard automotive part.
Yes, these are an early Chrysler automotive bearing cross.
The Spicer 5-1306X is a great replacement.

images

Putting a different outdrive on (particularly a different brand!!) to solve a universal joint issue is like using a hammer to cure a headache.

Ha ha ha..... but yes, I agree!

Keeping the drive down and pointed fwd when not in use extends greatly the bellows life ( the failure of which will trash the bearings)... using only OEM bellows and replacing them every couple of seasons is cheap insurance.
100% correct.
Lift the drive no more than need be to clear the road.
Store the drive fully down and aiming straight forward, and you will extend the life of your bellows.

Back