Logo

Tohatsu M70A Tilt trim working intermittenly

hanknstine

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I purchase a a boat a few months ago with a M70A on it. It has the original hydrolic lift tilt trim (RP-0298). Now this boat and motor has been in my group of friends for years and has been driven quite a bit with absolutely 0 issues, it's well taken care of and garage kept its whole life.

Yesterday while out on the lake it worked great for an hour or two then I started noticing that it wasn't trimming up easily while on the move, it got progressively worse throughout the day, I figured that battery was weak. Today I went and got a new battery and when I put it in it seemed like it fixed it. HOWEVER, that fix lasted me about 5 seconds and it was back to not lifting the motor at all. I can hear the relays under the motor cover flipping when I hit the switch. When I press up-trim it flips the relay and the hydro motor does not engage. When I press down trim the hydro motor engages and brings the motor down no problem.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any Advice would be helpful,

Hank

Sounds like your UP relay is bad. Some can be disassembled and cleaned.

I got home from work today and checked to see if it was still refusing to engage the motor on the up cycle. Low and behold it started working again. This narrows it down to the relay for sure in my opinion. I also noticed that the Up relay got hot to the touch after just 1 full cycle down and back up. I've been searching online for the past few hours with no luck looking for an oem or similar relay as shown in the photo below from the Tohatsu catalog. Does anyone know where I might possibly be able to source one or two of these?

Thank you
Hank
httpswww.tohatsuoutboardparts.comParts20CatalogsTOHATSU2-StrokeParts20Catalog20M45A2-50C-60A-70.jpeg

Back