Logo

Running the gas out of a small outboard?

Turbodog67

My grandfather said to always disconnect the fuel line and let the motor run out of fuel. I say that leaving fuel in the carbs and bowl will keep atmospheric moisture from coroding the jets and keep the gas volatiles from causing varnish buildup. What is the best practice, nowdays?

Your granfather was right !!-----Run it dry every time the boat sits for a week or more.

Thank you sir! This was my first query. Your qualification rating is impressive! May I go on? I use gas stabilizer, always use marine gas, and often put in Sea Foam. I have never had a problem with my motor sitting for several weeks.

Also, I have a generator (hurricane use) and I tried running out the gas each time I test ran it, about once per month. It started running so poorly, eventually not even starting that I had to rebuild/clean the carb. There was corrosion on the jets I reasoned that the humidity here in Tallahassee was such that a dry carb in the air was much worse than under fuel. I no longer let that motor run dry as well.

Am I missing or on to something? regards

Back