Logo

Raw water neck gasket seal question

commuter64

Contributing Member
I have this gasket:

It is rubber with a molded o-ring. Do I use any sealant? I bought a new water neck and the mating surface is painted on the stern drive side, but not the water neck. Should I remove the paint on the stern mating surface?

Thanks
water neck gasket.jpg

I have this gasket:

It is rubber with a molded o-ring. Do I use any sealant? I bought a new water neck and the mating surface is painted on the stern drive side, but not the water neck. Should I remove the paint on the stern mating surface?

Thanks
View attachment 23800

That is the beaded gasket.
The bead faces down against the upper rim of the pivot tube.

Use a gasket sealant between it and the water neck fitting.
Use a water proof grease ONLY between the bead and the pivot tube.
(no need to remove any paint on the suspension fork surface)

While things are this far down, check for excessive play between the pivot tube and it's upper bushing.
If excessive, the beaded gasket will live a short life.

By the way, these water neck fittings are a "wear item" and require routine replacement due to corrosion.
If you were to lose one, your engine may over-heat.

I'm more of an automotive engine guy. So when you note:

Since this is rubber and not cork or paper, what type of gasket sealant?

Water proof grease? Is that the same as Marine grease?

I'm more of an automotive engine guy. So when you note:

Since this is rubber and not cork or paper, what type of gasket sealant?

Water proof grease? Is that the same as Marine grease?

The upper area (the flat side) of the beaded gasket must seal against the water neck fitting's face.

The bead itself (facing downwards) must be able to rotate against the upper portion of the pivot tube, yet make a suction tight seal.

.... and this is one of the reasons that I've changed over to a thru hull with external strainer on my last several boats... that and the fact that as an inexpensive byproduct of this conversion, I get a flushout/winterizing port in the engine compartment...

.... and this is one of the reasons that I've changed over to a thru hull with external strainer on my last several boats... that and the fact that as an inexpensive byproduct of this conversion, I get a flushout/winterizing port in the engine compartment...

Bob, all due respect, and just to be clear for the OP here..... we DO NOT want to use that port for introducing antifreeze into a Raw Water cooled engine for winterizing.
For an engine with a Close Cooling System...... yes!

Back