Logo

2002 90hp mass air flow sensor

bigtimehustler

Happened to run into a gentleman who retired with coast guard after 26 years,(all they ran were Honda’s) explained issue with my motor and he said most likely mass air flow sensor. Can someone help me locate on motor and possibly part number to replace?

PLEASE.....

Slow throttle response almost wants to stall when I accelerate, if it stays running max speed is 10mph(3200 rpm) after a few minutes it will eventually rev up and plane out to max speed (29 mph 4600 rpm). Runs perfect when weather/water is cold Weather/water gets warm and she struggles I’ve changed plugs, thermostat, marine dealer changed intake gasket, checked carb linkage, adjusted idle & fuel mixture and synced carbs

Is this max rpm of 4600 something new? Did it just start doing this? Was it turning up something over 5000 rpm before that? Have you just replaced the prop with one that's possibly too big?

I replaced prop with same manufacturer and model number as original 4600-4800 is rpm at top speed and that’s been normal Boat runs fine is cold weather/water and issues happen when warm weather/water show up

Well, one thing is for sure. Your prop is too big. Makes no difference if it came that way or not. Though you can go as high as 6000 rpm, a good target rpm for the 90's should be something closer to 5500. Top rpm of 46-4800 would no doubt cause slow throttle response.

Runs better when cold vs. warm sounds like it may be running rich for some reason. No idea what's going on there, but if you are able, you might try turning your idle mixture adjustment screws in (clockwise) a quarter turn to see if that helps anything.

I agree it may be running rich. Spark plug color check might bear that out if you pull them and look after it's been bogging down.

I also think Alan gives you good counsel on prop/rpm. Over 5000 rpm would be more "normal".

These engines will derate power if an overtemp condition is interpreted by the microprocessor (CDI). You make no mention of the waterpump so I assume you're seeing a forceful pee stream? Even if you are seeing a good stream it's no guarantee that the engine isn't running too warm at times. The use of an inexpensive infrared thermometer aimed at the cylinder heads could help in figuring out what's happening. If the pump hasn't been replaced by a COMPLETE KIT in the last 3 seasons, that's something I would recommend right off. Extremely useful and cheap insurance for ANY outboard.

On an engine of this age, timing and valve lash adjustment should be checked for a complaint like this if those haven't been addressed very recently.

This sort of issue can be difficult to accurately diagnose so the "basics" are a good place to start. Not sure why the shop didn't have this conversation with you already assuming you gave them the same info you've provided us.

Good luck.

fe7cae58-73d7-4069-9e82-42cd3f51be12
just curious if it could be oil pressure switch or thermostatic switch that's causing my issue?
i really don't think it's prop issue since i replaced with same as factory installed one

Anything is possible, but this is not very likely a switch/sensor issue.

When the factory built that motor, they had absolutely no idea what kind of a boat it would be mated with. A GOOD dealer will water test the boat when the motor is installed, making sure the motor is turning up rpms in the range it was designed to run (5500+or-). If it does not, they will change the prop accordingly.

Problem is, many dealers just don't care if the engine is turning up the correct rpms, or they hand out some BS excuse about breaking the engine in at the lower rpms the prop is turning, with the idea that once broken in, the prop could be changed to the correct one - on YOUR dime.

If you are only seeing 46-4800 rpms, something is not right. There's no "if" or "maybe" to it!

I believe it would be in your best interest to investigate further. Either find somebody qualified to speak with (not your Coast Guard buddy), or do some reading on your own.

I would start by getting the carbs clean,90% of running issues on these motors are caused by varnish build up in the jets.

Try going online to one of the boat prop calculator sites and fill in the fields. Most replacement prop retailers have them and can also give advice via chat and phone.
You gather all the input that you think is reasonable and then pick.
I'm no prop guru so I don't know what to tell you about what you should be running. Especially since we've never even discussed your hull!

Good luck.

PS: make absolutely sure that your reaching FULL THROTTLE too.
The shop should have done this when they synced the carbs but this gets overlooked alot on carved engines.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Alan. Makes me wonder what kind of shop you used for the service, there is no way the job should have been handed back without offering you proper advice with regards to overall poor performance.

Back