Logo

1981 Johnson J10RCID 9.9hp Outboard Motor Slips Out of Forward

maurice133

I have shortened the link up top behind the shift lever, but at higher RPM/speed, it slips out of gear to neutral. Are there any adjustments or repair suggestions from anyone in the forum. Much appreciated. Thank you,
Maurice

Perhaps the rubber drive bushing in the propeller is bad.-----Borrow another prop or mark your prop and take boat for a spin.----See if your marks still line up afterwards.

Or if it is genuinely jumping out of gear into neutral such that you have to re-engage gear or hold it in gear manually it is likely to be a worn dog clutch.

Over time, especially if gear is engaged gently, the clutch dogs get the corners of their ears chewed off, then they easiy slip out of engagement with the dogs on the gear which may also be damaged

Sometimes the clutch can be turned round to overcome this. I do not know if that is possible with this engine. Hopefully it is because the dog clutch is no longer avaialble asa replacement part, although some parts stockists have them in stock priced around $150

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0325013&pass_title=0325013+:

Last edited:
The detent balls on the clutch dog make it hard to ease these into gear.----And the clutch dog is marked with a groove for the forward gear side I believe !!

Your description sounds like what is happening. I see the clutch dog set is priced at $150. As the engine was given to me, I may just live with the situation till the dogs are totally worn down. Thank you very much.

Back