Logo

2005 Mercruiser Enging Water Leak

Narbuckle

Advice please....We just purchased this boat and noticed that there is water coming out of the back of the engine, about 1/4 from top of engine. Is this a popped freeze plug? What can I do for a temp fix to block the water coming out of this little hole?

Last edited:
Can you return it and get your money back?
popped core plug or cracked block, pull the drive, pull the engine, remove rear cover,coupler, flywheel and look

The water is coming out of a small opening above the rear cover above the flywheel. any thoughts?

wont let me post a pic of it

This is the pic of the small opening at the top of the fly wheel cover. Ran all day on lake but noticed more water when we pulled the plug and then we ran engine and saw this. Did not see water in the oil. 20200604_132718_resized_1.jpg

If it is just a core plug will it hurt the engine to go out on the lake? I did not see ANY water in the oil which leads me to believe it is just the plug. Thank you

hard to say from here if it comes all they way out Likely u will over heat. If it is just the core plug (you’d be lucky) pull the engine up, get flywheel cover off, pull flywheel replace the plug ... would be fixed relatively quickly. Somebody must have winterized by sucking in AF vs draining first

Back