Logo

Temp gage isn’t working.

kirkll

Regular Contributor
I’m fairly new at working on boat motors, and don’t have a serious back ground in mechanic either.

I have a dead temp gage I need to trouble shoot, and have no idea where to start.

This is an Alpha one 4.3 in a 1990 19’ executive Cuddy II . I’d sure appreciate somebody pointing me in the right direction. Thanks, Kirk

Ayuh,..... The sendin' unit is in the t-stat housin',.....

Remove the wire, 'n ground it out, the gauge should peg to Hot,....

Thanks for the reply.... if the gage jumps to hot like you described, then I should replace the sensor or sending unit?

Thanks for the reply.... if the gage jumps to hot like you described, then I should replace the sensor or sending unit?

Ayuh,..... The sending unit tells the gauge where to point,.....

The other is just a switch, that grounds the alarm horn,.....

Would a 1990 4.3 Alpha one have a temp alarm horn? if so where is it located, or suposed to be located? I understand this motor was replaced about a year ago. So i don't know if something is missing that should be there. Thanks, Kirk

The horn is under the dash assuming your 1990 is the same as my 1990 was... its more of an annoying buzzer.

Both the sending unit for the gauge and the temperature switch for the alarm system will be on the thermostat housing which is on the top front of the engine.

Back