Logo

BF115A / BF130 Questions

I asked some of this same question just the other day, but I provided incorrect model information (a number I got from the top of the engine). I now know that this was not the serial number, so the one response I got may also be incorrect. Let me try this again with the correct serial number.

The engine I am looking at has serial number BZBD-1000977 on the stern plate. That same plate indicates BF115A in the lower right corner. The engine cover on this engine indicates 130 hp, so I am assuming that the cover came from some other engine somewhere along the way. The owner seems to think that this engine is from somewhere around 2000-2002, although he doesn't really know (and neither do I). Any way to tell?

1. Is this engine serial number in the range of those that were recalled back in the day by Honda for known head / block cracking problems?

2. Looking in at the front surface of the engine, I see a bolt which appears to have been welded in, with a really sloppy application of red RTV sealant then applied all around it. Oil seeps out from this location at higher RPM, although the engine seems to run fine and the panel oil pressure light is steady green. Owner checks oil regularly and adds a little as necessary. I'm not a mechanic --- I wish I could more precisely explain the location of this (apparently welded in) bolt to better ask why someone might have welded it in (and then slopped what seems to be RTV sealant all around the outside of it)???

3. How / why would Honda have bothered to produce both a 115 and a 130 hp engine in the first place? It seems to me that they are so close in both weight and hp that it just makes very little sense to produce or offer two engines in that hp range with only 15 hp difference. What am I missing here?

Informed answers and thoughts on the above questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is an interesting one, the frame number you have just given is for a BF115. The other number you gave is an engine number, that is a BF130. It would seem at some point the stern bracket must have been changed, or alternatively, a 130 power head has been fitted , since it has a 130 cowl, I'm guessing it is in fact a 130 with a 115 stern bracket and serial number. Honda would have made the 115 and 130 so that they could be fitted to a wider range of vessels, that's all. You must remember back then most of the brands were still 2 stroke which Honda were competing with, hence the two different power outputs. Both serial numbers were manufactured around 1999 and the crack issue applies, they may have been replaced under warranty or recall. There is probably no way of telling since this motor seems to be a bit of a mix and match.

Interesting engine, can you post pics of the numbers and the welded bolt area?
Don

The boat and engine and I are currently 100 miles apart; I saw it (and ran it and took it out for about an hour) during a visit last week. I have a picture of the stern plate (which shows no sign of ever having been altered) and I observed that previously reported BEBE number from the engine myself (no photos of that). I will see if I can figure out how to upload photos to this site here --- I am a dunce with that stuff. Owner has photos of the welded bolt / RTV mess on his phone and I've asked him to relay those photos to me and I'll see if I can get them uploaded here too.

To upload pictures....

Save reduce-sized pictures in .JPEG format. (I think the limit size is about 500 KBytes.) Go to the ribbon right above the message you are typing, click on the "insert image" icon - the third one from the right. Follow directions to browse on your computer, open the picture(s), and upload.

Have the photos and can open them, but stuck on the "follow directions to browse, open and upload". Not succeeding in the "upload" part, will try again later.

Back