Logo

1972 Johnson 125 Outboard Ignition Problem

Cybersnypa

I have this 1972 Johnson 125 outboard and I am having some serious difficulty with it. There is no spark what so ever. I am assuming its the CDI but I am having a hard time figuring out what to buy. I installed a brand new crank sensor assembly and coil because they were very affordable and it didn't help. It has a newer CDI brand computer #113-8362 which I am assuming came with the newer phase 2 crank sensor. I am going to verify that now because I didn't know to look till now. This computer says its for battery power pack systems. The OEM replacement part number is 398362 and doesn't seem to come with the phase 2 crank sensor gear when you go to order it. This CDI brand computer that came with the engine was replaced 4 years ago when it stopped running and I dont know if it solved the problem but when I bought the boat there was still no spark. I would buy another from CDI but the fact that this one is probably dead, that sketches me out to waste money on another. I am looking to buy the oem part number replacement computer from ebay but it doesn't come witch a crank sensor gear. I dont know if it needs the phase 1 or 2 gear. So any info would be helpful.

Also I bought a NOS distributor cap and the contacts inside are in a different location then the original. I am very worried that it will cause the timing to be off if it even works at all so I haven't installed it. It seems like it needs a newer matching rotor. Does anyone have any info on this as well?

And in the last picture the repair manual says you need to replace the rotor with the new CDI which is NLA. Whats that about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M19-Evinru...416824&hash=item48d45dd6fc:g:2cEAAOSwHMldnbst

http://www.cdielectronics.com/product/113-8362/

Possible that you got a distributor cap for the " one year only " 1968 100 HP V-4----They all look the same to some sellers but the 68 model 100 HP had a different part #

Hey thanks for the reply. Well I checked and the part number is the same but take a look at these photos. See how the posts are not in the same spot? This wouldn't work if I installed it right?

I took off the distributor and found that it does have the phase 2 gear. Does this mean I can only use CDI computers unless I find a phase 1 gear and OMC CDI?

I also found this in the parts bag

I had the same problem with at 1971, But it would only start if i jumpered the purple and red wire. Ended up being the CDI box, sent it in for warranty , and the new one did the same thing , waiting for a RMA for that one. I found a sierra universal box on ebay last year for 100$ and it runs perfect with that.

The pase 1 and phase 2 rotor confuse me because on the yellow sheet you have its shown one way and in the CDI troubleshooting book it shows it the other way, dont know which is right.Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I was very nervous about buying an OMC or Sierra box off ebay because of that newer style rotor. I dont even have the older rotor... So I just replaced my CDI with the exact same one and the engine runs now. The CDI box needs the skinny rotor that I am assuming they sell seperately. Mine already had it installed from previous owner I am assuming.

Back