Logo

Evinrude 115 TLCIM question

James in Canada

Regular Contributor
Here are a couple thirty second videos of my E115TLCIM idling.

My question is this:

A: does this engine sound happy and healthy?
B: this engine sounds like it has a cold.
C: this engine sounds fine for it age...what were you expecting?
D: you should put the engine out of your misery.
E: we cant tell crap from your sh!tty video.

Thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TUFctxL8nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZV6QW52YKo

Further background:

Stator and Rectifier/Regulator replaced due to burnt battery charging circuit.
Timing set to 24 degrees WOT and 5 degrees idle using the Joe Reeves method.
Plugs gaped to .035
Spark jumps a 7/16 inch gap.
Power pack charge voltage 300 volts peak AC.
Compression 120 on all cylinders.
Fresh Shell Premium Plus gas (no alcohol).
Link and sync done.

I'm no expert, but to me it sounds good. Sounds like my 1990 90 hp. Your numbers seem good as well. Is there a reason you are asking?

So I was out on the lake/river this morning. Idling down the river the engine sound like crap. running on two or three cylinders.
As soon as I hit the lake, I gave it some throttle and sure enough, hits 3000 rpm and takes off like a bat out of hell. As soon
as I back off the throttle to come off plane, the engine goes back to running on two or three cylinders. Now, it never dies, just
continues to run like ****. I feel like its getting either too much fuel or not enough spark. Tends to smoke more than it should.

I'm going to give the carbs a good cleaning today. What is behind the core plugs and do I need to remove them?
Anything in particular I should check for in the carbs?

While I have the engine ripped apart, I checked the thermostats.
Condition looked good and they started opening at about 150 degrees
and were fully open at about 160 degrees. Closed back up nicely when
taken out of the hot water. I think we can cross those off the list.

Carburetors were clean as a whistle inside. Took out all the metering orifices. all clean.
Top two .29, bottom two .28. Removed and cleaned the float valve (looked brand new). Unless there is something
hiding behind the core plugs I think the carbs are good.

OK, one more kick at the cat...

Here are two more thirty second videos showing running down the river in the no wake zone and
in the lake getting up on plane.
The engine reaches 5800 rpm at WOT (if my tach is to be believed) and 36 mph on the GPS.
The speed seems a little slow, but my hull is old and dirty, my prop has seen better days and
I made no effort to trim it out for maximum speed.

In the river:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsS5njYqhis

Getting up on plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_K95YdI1Y

Here is a quick update for anyone following this debacle...

My infrared thermometer says cylinder #2 is running 10 to 15 degrees (Fahrenheit) cooler than the other three after idling
for ten minutes or so. I swapped the CDI left to right, still #2 is cooler. Swapped coils left to right, same. I also installed
new plugs, same. My choices left as I see it are the timer base or carbs. I have carb rebuild kits ordered.

I wasn't really trying to measure the temperature to see if it was "correct" or not, just trying
to identify which cylinder was not fire properly. I was measuring the same spot, just to the outside
of the spark plug, for each cylinder. Three of them read about 125 degrees and #2 about 110.

Float Level Question

So I'm rebuilding the carbs but I don't have one of those handy dandy float level gauges.
Should I just do the ubiquitous "make the float level with the edge of the carb " or does
the gauge set it higher or lower than that generic measurement?

Thank you!

I like that, great tank......I use a cattle watering tank, but yours uses less water. Great photos, nice motor. 1 and 3 look a little rich 2 looks perfect, right?

If you love your boat, treat it to a new power pack, brother. Video indicates excessive engine noise, but that is misleading. Some cell phones pick up that frequency and amplify it more than what it really sounds like. Besides you got the cowling off.....and you should do that....whenever running in a tank. Often times I set up a fan to introduce fresh air too. Gotta do your low speed tuning keeping that in mind.

Last edited:
The issue I have been having is a misfiring issue from high idle to about 3000 rpm
while under way.
I have not had the ability to test with the timing light while out on the lake to see
if it looses spark. In the tank the timing light seems steady on all cylinders.
I have the sneaking suspicion that the timing is too advanced in relation to the throttle position.
The timing linkages were damaged when I got the engine. Of course, I repaired the linkages
before I ever ran the engine.
I got clarification in another thread how to set the relationship properly.

Wish me luck!

I like that, great tank......I use a cattle watering tank, but yours uses less water. Great photos, nice motor. 1 and 3 look a little rich 2 looks perfect, right?

Thanks! They were practically giving these barrels away at a company that makes
vaping liquid in the city.

All the plugs look pretty much the same except for #2 which looks almost normal.

Back