Logo

3.3HP Mariner Two Stroke changing prop oil seal

SlaveToMyCats

Hello,

I have a little 3.3HP Mariner Two Stroke engine (2006, OP407599). I normally do just basic servicing (impeller etc).

Recently I found gear-case full of water. I'm pretty sure this is due to fishing line wrecking the seal on the prop shaft. I bought replacement seals (official parts) on eBay and have also reviewed the manual.

The problem for me is that to change the seal I have to remove and replace ball bearing (part no 30-95344). I have a couple of questions about this:-
1) It seems to be a pain to get this bearing in the UK, all the suppliers are US based. Does anyone know the spec of this bearing so I can buy an equivalent item from SKF etc?
2) I don't have any special tools, in fact I've never pulled out a bearing before . Assuming I'm OK to wreck the old bearing and replace, can I do this cheaply with tools off amazon, i.e not the expensive tools listed in the service manual.

Really appreciate any tips!

Hello,
1) It seems to be a pain to get this bearing in the UK, all the suppliers are US based. Does anyone know the spec of this bearing so I can buy an equivalent item from SKF etc?

OK 1 is solved. Its Koyo 6001 (you can see the writing on the bearing without pulling it out! Now I just need to figure out how to get it in and out!

Can you drive a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the metal part of the seal? If so, you can gently pry it out.

Jeff

Can you drive a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the metal part of the seal? If so, you can gently pry it out.

Jeff

No Jeff, I probably could pull the seal out with long nosed pliers as its already shredded, but I'd never get a new one in as its situated between bearing and carrier.

racerone, thanks! When I put the new bearing in the manual suggests I need assembly lubricant and a special tool. Will I get away with using gear lube and a socket of similar diameter to the bearing?

Back