Logo

30hp Nissan starts but has no power and kills when putting it into gear.

mrich

4-stroke
NSF30A

My outboard kills when I put it in gear…when I do get it into gear it has no power…kills often.
I cleaned out all of the carbs and jets. I’m a novice so I may have missed a jet or chamber, but I do think I got them all.
What I noticed. When removing the bottom float bowl the brass plug fell out and a bead fell out too. So I replaced the bottom float bowl.
The top float bowl does not allow “carb cleaner” or forced air to pass throw the chamber located on the side of the bowl and the opening at the bottom of the bowl. (I’ve look but cannot find a replacement for the top bowl)

Is this why the motor runs but has no power or kills when I put it in gear?

Carb cleaning sounds like what you need. A Proper cleaning involves complete carb disassembly (including both jets, emulsion tube nozzle, etc.), then an overnight soak of all non-rubber bits in real carb dip, followed by a thorough and liberal blow-out of all passages with generic carb spray.
The 30A has a complex carb system, with 3 carbs. Each must be working correctly or you will have issues. You also need to sync the idles. Full info is in the Factory service manual. Not an aftermarket manual. Part #:003-21053-0, about $42.00.
The upper carb has an ABS for enrichment during warm-up. The two lower carbs do not.
The only check ball I know of is for the accelerator pump. I have no clue what brass plug you are referring to.
It sounds like your float valve is stuck, preventing fuel from filling the carb.
Yes, the bowl is available separately; for the upper section, you would need to order a complete carburetor.

If I have fuel in each of the float bowls. (I know this by opening the drain plug on each on) could the float valve still be stuck or not working properly?
Thanks so much.

Back