Logo

1997 Crusader 305 XL rebuilt in 2001 stalling issue

whaler200

New to me Shamrock 20 PH with a 1997 Crusader 305 XL reportedly rebuilt in 2001 with new rochester 4BBL in 2006 and a new fuel pump and high pressure line. So both tanks in this boat need to be replaced so I just hooked up a 28 gallon deck top tank and plumbed it through the filter then direct to the engine. Started the boat and it ran for about 4 minutes started warming up and then I believe ran out of gas. I attempted several restarts to no avail it would start and run for a few seconds and then die. Removed flame arrestor and looked at forward venturi and when pushing the accelerator pump it squirts plenty of fuel but won't stay running. So, I've checked all the normal stuff, cleaned the carb without removing it with some carb cleaner although it appeared very clean. I think I may have a problem with my new fuel tank because I used a priming bulb between the tank and the fuel filter. Worked fine, pumps fine, brand new bulb, check valves work fine, etc.... I'd like to know where the fuel pump is located and start there but couldn't find it on this Shamrock although it's got to be there somewhere. Any advice is appreciated and any comments on the priming bulb are welcome. I get the impression the boat ran long enough to empty the bowl on the carb and hasn't run since accept when starter is engaging. Thanks.

Doesn't sound like your deck tank is installed 'legally' so I'd say you need to get that resolved.

You mention 'new' carb in 2006 (highly unlikely it was really 'new') and 'high pressure line' - to what?

I've never heard or seen a 305XL designator on a Crusader engine....so we need to know what is really there.

My guess is you have an electric fuel pump and the 'safety switch' has failed. If so, you can jump the fuel pump directly and see if it runs.

High pressure line/// thats what I thought, what for? That was info provided by the previous owner. Looks like a standard Rochester Carb Unit with an electric fuel pump. As to the deck tank it's got two large straps holding it down in indentations provided for such on the tank. Through bolted into the floor so would appreciate comments on what's illegal about that. Where might the safety switch be? Thanks for replying. Oh and here is a pic.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.34.43 PM.png

Last edited:
the primer bulb isn't approved for use with an inboard....and with the tank in the deck, you shouldn't need it. The tank should have an anti-syphon valve in its outlet.

the pressure switch will likely be along the base of the block, above the oil pan gasket. fastest way to find it is to follow the wires away from the fuel pump...assuming you have one. are you sure you dont have a 350CID engine? I can't find a listing for a 305 CID that came factory equiped with the electric pump?

assuming an appropriate fuel pump is being used, its output line isn't 'high pressure'...it should be about 6 PSI when running...

the safety switch satisfied the USCG requirements to shut off the fuel pump if the engine isn't running....in other words, the switch should close when you have oil pressure and it will open with no oil pressure....

if the carb's float bowl is full, its not likely to be a fuel pump issue...does the distributor still use points?

Back