Logo

Bilge blower replacement

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
The blower in my engine compartment sounds like it is on it's last legs. Anyone know where I can find a suitable replacement? It's in a very akward position so replacing it will not be an easy job...behind the engine and mounted to the deck above the transom.

blower.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ricardo. Do you think I will find something that bolts up to the existing top portion of the blower in my pic? Or will I have to replace the entire assembly?

Most readily available replacement blowers, i.e. @ your local marine store, are likely to be "in line", hose in, hose out blowers.

Thanks Ricardo. Do you think I will find something that bolts up to the existing top portion of the blower in my pic?
It's doubtful..... that is an odd arrangement.
You may need to make an adapter that would allow the motor to mount elsewhere, and then run flex hose to/from it..... but that would not be uncommon!

Or will I have to replace the entire assembly?
The reasons for my suggesting a continuous duty squirrel cage style are:

.... the turbo or in-line styles do not last. (my friend owns a marine salvage yard.... he will not sell what appears to be a good/used turbo/in-line style because he knows that they will be returned)
.... the turbo or in-line styles are noisy.
.... the squirrel cage style are nice and quiet.
.... the squirrel cage (in the continuous duty version) will last longer than you will own that boat.

What ever you do, make sure that the suction hose reaches down under the engine at/near the lower portion of the bilge.

Back