Logo

2008 Terrova with Autopilot going in circles

Eric12486

So a little late to post after I already ordered the part but figured I would ask anyway. Just recently pulled a 2008 55lb Terrova with the compass based auto pilot from a boat which we are pulling the outboard from. It was a bonus the Terrova came with it. The motor works great with the foot pedal but sometimes when you hit the autopilot the head would spin in circles tying to seek its heading. Contacted support and they said the compass needed to be replaced so I ordered the part for $95 since I didn't have anything into the unit.
I have found mixed results in other searches about the success or longevity of replacement compasses. Does anyone have any feedback on making this repair?

So a little late to post after I already ordered the part but figured I would ask anyway. Just recently pulled a 2008 55lb Terrova with the compass based auto pilot from a boat which we are pulling the outboard from. It was a bonus the Terrova came with it. The motor works great with the foot pedal but sometimes when you hit the autopilot the head would spin in circles tying to seek its heading. Contacted support and they said the compass needed to be replaced so I ordered the part for $95 since I didn't have anything into the unit.
I have found mixed results in other searches about the success or longevity of replacement compasses. Does anyone have any feedback on making this repair?

I just installed the terrova. I haven t i nstalled the compass (puck) yet and been playing with lock spot..it has been working great with out..Not sure if going to install it. May jsut see they diffance...HAve you tryed with out compass??

I just installed the terrova. I haven t i nstalled the compass (puck) yet and been playing with lock spot..it has been working great with out..Not sure if going to install it. May jsut see they diffance...HAve you tryed with out compass??

You probably have the newer version as ours does not have the puck. It is built into the head unit and we do not have spot lock in this early version. When the autopilot works it is a very nice feature when doing things like tying new baits, organizing the boat and even netting a fish. The river and creeks we fish do not tend to have a lot of wind or current for the most part so haven't tried it with strong forces against it. This unit is upgradable to GPS but the parts no longer seem to be available to make the upgrade.

Back