Logo

No Thermostat, '71 LM318

Restoring the boat. Engine has never run, for me. Pulled the thermostat housing and not thermostat. Internet search found the cheapest at $96! I believe Marine parts.com. They told me the part number is 3675303k. Any one have a more reasonable source or idea?

Also, the color of the engine, light red. I thought Chrysler Marine engines were light blue? This one has "CHRYSLER" cast onto the risers so I am pretty sure it is a LM318 but the color is confusing.

Attachments

• Carb After Rebuild.jpg
    Carb After Rebuild.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 60
Look up Hi flo thermostats like Robert Shaw....

Chrysler industrial engines were generally red so it's not out of the question...Come to think of it whn 340's 1st came out they were red...
If that's a Super Bee engine they were painted orange with black valve covers..at least the 340's were.
The boat manufacture could have spec'd that color too... What is it...?

Called Robert Shaw. They have a brass 318 thermostat for $24 that may work. Temperature is 160 degrees. I understand I need a 140 degree for salt water. Although the boat is on a trailer so it would get flushed frequently.

It is a 28' Cargile Cutter. About 600 made 1970 - 1980. The carb flame arrestor says "Superbee". The valve covers are the same color as the engine. Oh and it is raw water cooled.

Last edited:
Yes the outdrive is a Volvo. Once again the risers have CHRYSLER cast into them. Had a conversation with a counter man at Marysville Marine. Because the engine is painted red he said it may be a Volvo. God only knows what combo of engine plants Alan Cargile u
sed in his boats. I have seen Chrysler 318, Ford 302 & 350 and Volvo diesels.

That's why it's red then just like they would paint a GM 5.0 or any other engine they use.
Chrysler was big time for awhile having their motors bought by a second party
and had a close relationship w Volvo. All Chrysler boats came with them until they developed
their own short lived 300 drive in the late 70's...

Called Robert Shaw. They have a brass 318 thermostat for $24 that may work. Temperature is 160 degrees. I understand I need a 140 degree for salt water. Although the boat is on a trailer so it would get flushed frequently.
It is a 28' Cargile Cutter. About 600 made 1970 - 1980. The carb flame arrestor says "Superbee". The valve covers are the same color as the engine. Oh and it is raw water cooled.
Trailered or not, if running in ocean water, the lower temp stat helps prevent "Salt Crystallization" that begins to occur at/near 143*.

Yes the outdrive is a Volvo. Once again the risers have CHRYSLER cast into them. Had a conversation with a counter man at Marysville Marine. Because the engine is painted red he said it may be a Volvo. God only knows what combo of engine plants Alan Cargile used in his boats. I have seen Chrysler 318, Ford 302 & 350 and Volvo diesels.

Chrysler Marine did use the Volvo Penta stern drives back then. And yes..... the color would have been red.

Minus the flywheel cover and PDS, the stern drive is 100% AQ series Volvo Penta.

For your engine related concerns, use the Chrysler forum.
For any stern drive related concerns, use the Volvo Penta forum.

If little to no history on this boat, I suggest that you;

.... replace the drive shaft bellows
.... replace the eccentric piston seal
.... replace the water neck fitting and special beaded gasket
.... perform a pressure/vacuum leak-down test on the drive
.... replace the PDS bearings

NOTE: do not use heavy gear oil in the stern drive.

Last edited:
Find you casting number on the side of the block. Look for 7 digits followed by a dash and revision number. Plenty of information on the net covering block ID.
The CI and "LM" may also be stamped just below head on the water pump end.[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

You may have a early sixties (up to 1968 in Canada) 318 poly head vintage_engines+.jpgsemi-hemi, the 318A with poly heads. Check the lower edge of the valve covers (upper edge in this picture). If they are scalloped it's a 318A which were painted red.

Back