Logo

1977 70 hp evinrude idles REAL high at start, then mellows out

dragula

Sounds like fly wheel is gonna blast off in to outer space. Is this a symptom of dirty carbs? After inspection, there are no fuel/air mixture screws on carbs or intake manifold. Should I clean low speed orifice with a paper clip and carb cleaner?

Sounds like fly wheel is gonna blast off in to outer space. Is this a symptom of dirty carbs? After inspection, there are no fuel/air mixture screws on carbs or intake manifold. Should I clean low speed orifice with a paper clip and carb cleaner?
We can not see or here you motor blast off into space,but if you gave us an RPM reading we mite have an idea what the heck you are talking about. NO ,it does not sound like dirty carbs.

We can not see or here you motor blast off into space,but if you gave us an RPM reading we mite have an idea what the heck you are talking about. NO ,it does not sound like dirty carbs.

thanks for the reply. I don’t have a tachometer installed on the boat unfortunately

When you start it,are all thottle plats closed? Is the spark advance fully retarded?have you messed with the synk and linkage?

When you start it,are all thottle plats closed? Is the spark advance fully retarded?have you messed with the synk and linkage?
You’re the second Or third person to mention the throttle plates So I’ll check those out later. And I don’t have a timing light. Is that a simple procedure? I can look up the specs for TDC...then do I just guesstimate for the optimal ignition position? And I’m not exactly sure what you mean by sync and linkage.

Back