Logo

BF10 SHSU Lifepo4 for starting?

zeehond

Hello there,

I'am new on this forum. My name is Marco and I live in the Netherlands. Recently I bought a new Honda 10hp with electric start. I am very happy with this motor.
Now I want to buy a battery for starting electric. In the manual I see a capacity of 35AH.

Question: can I use a lithium Lifepo4 as a starting battery? It will start the engine but does it goes well when the alternator is charging the battery with 12A?
Because the Lifepo4 is a "special" battery to charge.

Thank you for give me some feedback.

gr Marco

Hi Marco!
As a very long time Radio Control hobbyist, I can see right where you are coming from. Plenty of power to start, but LiFe does NOT like to be trickle charged. They need to fully charge, then the charge current needs to be shut off. I can't see how you might set that up with an outboard.

I can also see why you might not want the weight of a conventional marine (or automotive) battery aboard to start a 10hp engine.

Have you considered a lawn tractor battery? I use one of those on my engine stand, and I know it will start the Honda's up through 90 hp pretty easily. -Al

Last edited:
Hi Marco!

Have you considered a lawn tractor battery? I use one of those on my engine stand, and I know it will start the Honda's up through 90 hp pretty easily. -Al

Hey, thanks for your reply!
What is a defenition of a tractor battery? Is that a small lead acid battery? Same as a motorcycle battery?

gr Marco

Lawn tractor battery would be about twice the size of a lot of motorcycle batteries. Motorcycle battery may be another (even better?) idea for your application.

Back