Logo

Need help with mercury 800 4cyl it's a 1978 kicking out of gear

Cchiasson40

So I've rebuilt this motor runs like a dream. I put it in the water and accelerated and at slow speed it runs smooth bet under load and acceleration it starts to slip. The motor still runs fine just revs up with no grinding and now knocking. It doesn't feel like it's kicking out of gear there is no thud. I've replaced the prop with an new one and took lower end shaft out the forward gear and shift dog look fine to me as well as all other gears my linkage all looks good and my cam is fully in forward when shifted in place. The only odd thing is that my cam does have dents where cam pin sets but that should only let that pin set further into forward gear. I'm at a loss is there anything else that could cause this or is it possible the gears at bad even though they look great. Could really use help here this motor runs way too good to just give up on. Thank you

It is almost impossible for these to slip out of gear when properly adjusted.-------What kind boat is it on ?-----What is the transom height measurement ?----Splines in the crankshaft checked and OK ??

It is almost impossible for these to slip out of gear when properly adjusted.-------What kind boat is it on ?-----What is the transom height measurement ?----Splines in the crankshaft checked and OK ??

That's the last thing I can think of I'm looking at it again now. The drive shaft spline look ok but haven't seen what power head spines look like. I might look at that now. Ty

So it's hard to see but my spines in my crankshaft look like hell I think this might be the problem I'm asumeing that's no a part that connects to crankshaft it's the actual crankshaft.

Back