Logo

1987 Yamaha 40 RPM Problem

skeeter25

My 1987 Yamaha 40hp 3 cylinder outboard runs at about 4400 RPMs at full throttle. The max RPM range is 4500 to 5500. It seems like I need to get a lower pitch prop, but sometimes when I hit a wave hard, the motor will open up and run at 5300-5400 RPMs for a minute or so and then drop back to 4400. Any ideas why the hard impact would make the motor open up? It seems like it may be a fuel problem but I tried squeezing the primer bulb when running at 4400 rpm but the bulb was firm and had no effect on the engine. Although, I did notice that the carbs were leaking some fuel last time out. The boat is somewhat slow to get on plane but not terrible. The butterflies in the carbs are almost horizontal at full throttle. They are slightly angled upwards, but not by much. The spark plugs all look good, they are somewhat new and dark brown. Please note that this motor has 3 carbs. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I worked on the motor a little today and it looks like the bottom cylinder isn't firing. After replacing all 3 spark plugs and running it in the driveway on the hose, the top and middle spark plugs were hot to the touch and slightly brown on the end, but the bottom plug was not hot and looked new. Also, there was a lot of unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust. I tried spraying ether (actually carb cleaner but I have heard that carb cleaner can be used as ether) in the carb and in the spark plug hole of the bottom cylinder and it did nothing. I also cleaned all the carbs and replaced all the fuel lines, the carbs weren't dirty at all. Compression reads 105 on top and middle cylinder and 100 on the bottom cylinder. Using a cheap spark tester it looks like it is getting spark, but I am going to try and find an inline spark tester where it tests to see if the spark can jump a gap tomorrow to see how strong the spark actually is. I believe it may have a weak spark because the tester is flashing a red light instead of blue, but it is doing this for all cylinders so maybe that is normal. Could 100PSI be too low for the cylinder to run? I thought a 2 stroke could run at 100 psi as long as all of the cylinders were somewhat even. It seems like it may be some kind of loose electrical connection that starts working from the impact when I hit a big wave. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Still trying to figure this out. I put clear fuel lines on everything and and it looks like the bottom carb is not pulling fuel in. When I cleaned the carbs they were all pretty clean. Does anyone have any ideas?

Back