Logo

Throttle won’t stay in position

Uncle Paul

1975 50 hp. I had the mercontrol apart to lube cables. Now everything is working fine except now when I set the throttle at full or even 3/4 it won’t stay......it just creeps back. Any help would be appreciated!

Can anyone tell me what the “friction deal” being referred to looks like? I don’t want to
make things any worse than it is now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recalling, been awhile, there was a knob on the front of the box, not side, front....got to look around in front to see it, that you could screw CW to increase tension on the throttle cable. I don't remember when I last used it or which control box I was using, Commander 2000 or 3000. I looked in the engine manual and it shows electrical connections and cabling, but not all that much mechanical illustration.

If this is the Merccontrol there is no friction button on the front,just a rubber bung type socket for tach harness. Something is missing inside.Did you put the wee roller in behind the spring? E in this pic,C is the tach plug

Attachments

• sfift cam.jpg
    sfift cam.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 16
Never been in that box. C is where the tensioner would have been on mine. Don't have an answer for your E comment other than it seems to be a N detent....aid in operator knowing that the control lever is centered. Looking for a "mechanism" to introduce friction I don't see one.

The outer sheath brass barrel is secured in the lower left corner it seems. I'd be interested in seeing the device on the end of the center conductor....the part that runs in those case in grooves in the control. Is the other side of the control just a plain, flat, cast plate, or is there a clue there. How about a couple more pics!

When the shift lever is pushed fwd or rev.,the pressure on the roller creates the pressure to hold the throttle open.If the flat spring or roller is missing,no pressure to hold shift lever.
The roller on the throttle plate fits into G and as the shift cam goes fwd/rev the throttle opens.The throttle cam side. The cam in the pic is,I find, is in the best position for putting the two halves together.
As Pauls throttle is not holding,and he said Merccontrol,so the only thing I can think off is the roller or flat spring aren't in place

Attachments

• Photo0394.jpg
    Photo0394.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 11
Back