Logo

Fuel/vro pump ‘87 Johnson 70

Scarbomb

Bought my boat used, has a J70TLCUR, previous owner did the conversion to premixing, but I don’t know the extent of what was done. I’ve been running the boat for 3 years now, the pump decided to start spewing fuel. Through searching I’ve found that a new replacement is $450 +/- the part I’ve seen is 5007423. But this is the original vro pump. Is there another pump I can use to replace it with Seeing as it isn’t mixing the oil? Or where might I find new seals for the current one? Also I’ve never thought much of it but I’m using 16:1 since previous owner said to. is that right for the motor?

That motor runs at 50:1 mix.------0438557 is the replacement pump to use.----Wonder why PO said 16:1 on it.-----Maybe do a compression test before spending any money on it.

Thanks racerone, is there a bracket Mount for that new pump? I’ve been meaning to do a compression test on it. Can it be done without the fuel pump attached? On a side note, It was surging at higher rpm’s. so I did all the obvious things, spark plugs new fuel lines & filter, carbs etc. took it out and noticed the fuel leak. Not sure if it was spraying fuel before all that. So hopefully the new pump will fix it.

The 1983 model 70 HP and some much newer 65 HP commercial models used a neat bracket to mount the pump.----No need for a fuel pump to do a compression test.

Would you happen to know the proper compression numbers? Can’t seem to find them online. Finally did the test this morning all are spot on at 90psi! Went ahead and put in that new fuel pump, while warming up for the test I noticed a huge difference in the motor, Quieter, and idling better then it ever has. Haven’t ordered a bracket, I’m thinking to leave it as is? You saved me a ton of money, I can’t thank you enough!

My compression tester shows 130 PSI on those motor if they are in good condition.----Just installed that bracket on an 89 model.---Found it in my parts boxes.

Back