Logo

2006 115 2 stroke TLR

jkimball3944

I found a hole in my oil line from my big tank to the engine reservoir. replaced the joint. I did not know about the hole, but when i was running a couple of weeks ago the low oil indicator went off and motor was reduced to 1000 rpm only...filled the engine reservoir (big tank was completely full) limped home and traced the line, found the hole. Went back out ran it for a while, came home and removed the hood, and the reservoir was reduced from where i had filled it....not quite to half but i believe the engine is running off that oil and not the main big tank. Oh and i cannot fill the engine reservoir by using the emergency switch, when i turn on the key and attempt to use it, there is no noise or anything. Question: I do not see or feel a pump on the big tank. There are wires going in and a line coming out to the engine....so, do i need to prime that line that had the hole in it?...why isnt the emergency switch working or pumping? Is there a pump on the big tank? Do i need to just replace the oil pump and hope for the best?

Let's get on same page so we're not getting confused with terminology :). The oil tank attached to the engine and under the cowling is called the Main Tank. The other oil tank which is not attached to the engine is called the reserve tank. The reserve tank has a pump, which is on the side towards the bottom and it's hard to miss. Easy way to determine if this pump is working is by emptying the Main tank so the oil level is below the lower level line. If the oil pump system is functioning properly, when you turn the key ON the reserve oil tank pump will transfer oil into the Main oil tank. When you turn the key ON place your hand on the reserve oil pump and if it's working you'll feel it. Also when you turn key ON when oil level is below the low level line, the low level alarm will trigger and will only turn off when the Main tank oil level is above the low level line. If the pump doesn't transfer oil from reserve tank to Main tank, you've either got a bad pump or bad conductivity in the oil harness. I'd confirm good harness conductivity before replacing the pump. And if the low level alarm doesn't trigger when you turn key ON, you've got that issue to deal with too.

Last edited:
Ok so now i need to ask more questions. How full should the main tank be all things working properly? Right now it is just below the upper fill line. does it fill automatically when youre running for a certain period of time, all things working properly?... I have never had to add any oil to the main tank except recently when the hole showed up in the line. I filled the main tank manually so i could get back to the dock....fixed the line....now just running to see what happens. They could not have put the pump in a more inconvenient place on the reserve tank...i cannot even see it...down in the bilge...Im going to fish tomorrow and see how the level is in the main tank when i get done....Another thing, approximately what is the rate of oil use? i know it would depend on speed time etc...but ive burned about 3/8 tank (40 gallon) since i fixed the line and the oil level in the main tank hasnt decreased all that much.

Oil level should have gone down about 3 QUARTS if you used 40 gallons of gas.------Stop running the motor until you confirm status of oil injection system !

I had twin 2006 150 HPDI . I had more problems with that system, it sucks . Had a pump go bad on the reserve tank once . That was simple to change. I removed the pump and attached it to a battery to check it out. Other items were related to corrosion and bad connections. I had bad connections at the main tank harness. With the key on and you work the switch and the pump does not work I would say you have a wiring problem. If you know how you could ring out the wiring from the engine to the reserve tank. If that checks OK than I would look at the wiring for the level float switch in both thanks. Corrosion will always get you .

Ok so now i need to ask more questions. How full should the main tank be all things working properly? Right now it is just below the upper fill line. does it fill automatically when youre running for a certain period of time, all things working properly?... I have never had to add any oil to the main tank except recently when the hole showed up in the line. I filled the main tank manually so i could get back to the dock....fixed the line....now just running to see what happens. They could not have put the pump in a more inconvenient place on the reserve tank...i cannot even see it...down in the bilge...Im going to fish tomorrow and see how the level is in the main tank when i get done....Another thing, approximately what is the rate of oil use? i know it would depend on speed time etc...but ive burned about 3/8 tank (40 gallon) since i fixed the line and the oil level in the main tank hasnt decreased all that much.

Oil level below the high line is good. Once oil level goes below the low level line, the switch opens sending signal to the pump to refill from reserve tank.

Back