Logo

Johnson 115SPL No model or serial #; year? Power pack issue?

wkelly

The model and serial # on this engine are screwed up-- almost looks like someone tried to burn them off. It is on a 1992 pontoon that I bought a couple of years ago. I'm having a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust and sometimes fuel + oil creating a nasty slick at my dock and idle is a bit roughIMG_2666.jpgIMG_2667.jpgIMG_2668.jpg. I pulled it out of the water and pulled the plugs today; they seem fine. I hooked up a spark tester and all cylinders fire, but the arc will occasionally look "weaker" on all plugs. I'm thinking it may be the power pack but not sure what else to check-- and even if it is the power pack, need a model # to order one.
Thanks for any help you folks might be able to provide!

First thing I would do on that motor is a compression test.---Post your numbers.----The powerpack likely has the part # on it.

Last edited:
First thing I would do on that motor is a compression test.---Post your numbers.----The powerpack likely has the part # on it.

Thanks-- my son is coming up later with my compression gauge; will post that. Will also look at the power pack and see if there's a part # on that. Thanks!

Are you using a proper spark test device.----One with an adjustable gap in air.-----Set that at 7/16" and test with all plugs removed.

The power pack on the engine is a BRP CD4 584027. A quick search puts the motor at a 90-96, so it may be the original motor on the 1992 pontoon. While unbolting it to find the model# i noticed the ground wire was a bit corroded and easily broke. I put on a new connector and the engine seemed to run a little better, but I still noticed a lot of oil in the exhaust water when I collected it. Grey sludge in the prop, too, so the original issue isn't solved (dang it).

Not adjustable-- just a standard one from autozone or somewhere else to detect spark. I just noticed that the spark wasn't always consistent in its brightness. The idle is a little rough and when it hits a minor rough spot the smoke puffs out of the engine; less smoke in between.

I just use a simple adjustable gap spark checker.-----I do not know how to use a blinking light bulb type.----Nor do I need one of those !----Simple trouble shooting will find what is wrong with your motor.

I rebuilt my 1995 Johnson 115hp completely this year. During the carb rebuild I had something similar with lots of fuel and smoke and it was the floats stuck open in the bowels. It was just dumping way too much fuel.

Not adjustable-- just a standard one from autozone or somewhere else to detect spark. I just noticed that the spark wasn't always consistent in its brightness. The idle is a little rough and when it hits a minor rough spot the smoke puffs out of the engine; less smoke in between.

Sorry-- my laptop keeps screwing up and double posting replies. I'll likely have to get a mechanic to look at it; I don't trust myself with carb adjustments, etc.

As far as I know there are no carburetor adjustment needles on these carburetors.---Post your compression numbers.

Sorry about the delay in this thread-- I had to go back to work and just now returned. I checked the compression: #1= 35, #2= 27, #3 and #4= 25. Given the age of this motor I don't think those differences are huge, but I'm nowhere near an expert. I cleaned and regapped the plugs to 0.03 while I had them out and the engine runs ok-- still idles a little rough and the smoke is still pretty obnoxious-- fills up my yard and I have to walk away while it's running.
One thing I've noticed is that the water pissing out never seems to get warm, even after 10-15 min of running the engine. Could the thermostats be stuck open and this contribute to the problem of running rich?

Pisser water does not even go through the motor so it stays cool all the time !-----I have never see compression numbers that low in PSI.----What kind of compression tester are you using ??

from what i've read 135 is not low? Anything lower than 110 is a problem.... just what I've read online for what that's worth

Back