Logo

1969 Johnson 85hp starter problems?

swannyson

I just recently came into possession of a 1969 Johnson 85hp that had been sitting for at least 15 years. It had been stored inside and kept out of the elements thankfully. The motor will barely turn over with the spark plugs in. It turns over fine with the spark plugs out. I have tried replacing the starter as well as cleaning the spots where the starter is bolted to the engine to make sure it had a good ground. I have even tried bypassing the solenoid and connecting the battery straight to the starter. It still barely turns over with the spark plugs in. Oh and I have also tried multiple batteries. Any thoughts on what I should try next? Thanks!

Start with avoltage drop test. Testing is cheaper than thowing money at it. Check out C.D.I. 's guide on this site.

Last edited:
I just recently came into possession of a 1969 Johnson 85hp that had been sitting for at least 15 years. It had been stored inside and kept out of the elements thankfully. The motor will barely turn over with the spark plugs in. It turns over fine with the spark plugs out. I have tried replacing the starter as well as cleaning the spots where the starter is bolted to the engine to make sure it had a good ground. I have even tried bypassing the solenoid and connecting the battery straight to the starter. It still barely turns over with the spark plugs in. Oh and I have also tried multiple batteries. Any thoughts on what I should try next? Thanks!
Curious about source of starter also?Also, I never had this problem or read about it on here,but could a blockEd exhaust on the engine cause this since it will turn over with plugs out?

I would remove the lower unit and see if motor turns over easier then.------Blocked exhaust is not the problem.

I would remove the lower unit and see if motor turns over easier then.------Blocked exhaust is not the problem.
He didn’t mention the lower being checked out yet.Thanks for responding about the exhaust idea.Only reason I mentioned that was the 69 skitwin I got last year had the leg full of acorns and pine needles from a mouse or chipmunk climbing up the the exhaust Exit port but not up into the engine.Just spitballing on that one.

Back