Logo

1991 Johnson 100HP Not Starting

Kaladin

Hello everyone. First time working on an outboard so forgive my ignorance. My fathers 1991 100HP Johnson wasn't starting and after following tests we determined it was the starter not engaging the flywheel so we went about replacing that and since he wasn't sure when the solenoid was done he wanted that replaced also. Now here's where I get lost having replaced the two parts and connecting the battery the motor tried starting on it's own. I knew the wires were connected as before because I took pictures to make sure. After doing research I decided to put the old solenoid back on and the automatic starting stopped but now the motor won't try to start at all. Like I said I'm new to working on outboards so I'm lost. Any suggestions?

Hi there, new to outboards myself so no biggie. Tons of info here. So to be clear, when your new solenoid is installed your starter gets power the moment you connect the battery? my understanding is that your solenoid is just a big switch for your starter circuit...operated by a smaller circuit going to your key switch. if there was a short on the keyswitch side of the solenoid i could see it giving your starter constant power. if you have a multimeter it should be really easy to test the solenoid. Guarantee there's a video out there. Good luck!

Hi there, new to outboards myself so no biggie. Tons of info here. So to be clear, when your new solenoid is installed your starter gets power the moment you connect the battery? my understanding is that your solenoid is just a big switch for your starter circuit...operated by a smaller circuit going to your key switch. if there was a short on the keyswitch side of the solenoid i could see it giving your starter constant power. if you have a multimeter it should be really easy to test the solenoid. Guarantee there's a video out there. Good luck!

I put the old solenoid back on but it looks like i'll still have to test the switch.

Kaladin,

if you have any type of switch you can connect one lead to the post the battery cable is attached to on the solenoid and the other lead to the small post on solenoid that has the colored wire (normally yellow, not black) coming from your wiring harness. Connect those two points when you flip the switch and the starter will engage. You will get no spark if your key is turned off but but you can isolate the key switch as potentially being the culprit.

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18
Kaladin,

if you have any type of switch you can connect one lead to the post the battery cable is attached to on the solenoid and the other lead to the small post on solenoid that has the colored wire (normally yellow, not black) coming from your wiring harness. Connect those two points when you flip the switch and the starter will engage. You will get no spark if your key is turned off but but you can isolate the key switch as potentially being the culprit.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Back