Logo

Mercury classic 50

MercuryMike

Hey guys I’m new to the boat world but I have a mercury classic 50 that at full throttle has no power. Burns gas like you wouldn’t believe also. Any ideas or things to look for?

I would say you need to inspect fuel pump diaphragm.----Or float valves in the carburetors.----Boat is likely to far away for me to do the inspection / work.

I was going to buy a rebuild kit for the fuel pump but wasn’t sure which was the right one. Having trouble finding the right one for my model it’s a 0B284140

Hey guys I’m new to the boat world but I have a mercury classic 50 that at full throttle has no power. Burns gas like you wouldn’t believe also. Any ideas or things to look for?

I jave the same motor. I am also having the same issue. I will let you know if I find a cure.

Do the basics first tests first...compression, spark. If running on 2 cylinder it will idle but wonk have any power and use the crap out of fuel..

Well, an update on mine. The gremlin left on his own? It all of a sudden started running better. 28mph! Maybe trash stuck in a reed? Heck if I know, just a guess. Dont really know how you would check that.

Glad you got it worked out. How old was the fuel in your tank? It may be a moot point now especially if you’ve burned through that remaining gas. But ethanol blended gas could be an issue, if that’s what you were burning? If the corn gas sits for extended periods of time the corn molecules start morphing into a varnish like substance that many older marine and small engines were not designed to handle. I always use non oxy fuel in my small engines and marine equipment.

I have the same engine...had the same symptoms... turned out to be the ignition.. finally got it running decent on the water a couple days ago. Had to replace the switch box, trigger and now just ordered a new stator. do like faztbullet suggests... start with the spark check.. get an inline spark tester.

be careful and check for positive voltage on the kill connection to your switch box.. CDI has some good pointers if you read the installation instructions for the components they sell.. expensive lessons to learn.. Mine started with replacing the controls which I think came with a defective switch.. the switch fried my cdi box...

lesson learned..test the parts before you install..way too many poor quality parts being sold...

Back