Logo

bellows installs?

commuter64

Contributing Member
Hi all,

What is the best practice for connecting the drive and exhaust bellows?? I've seen adhesive / no adhesive on some posts for the mating surfaces. If adhesive, what type / brand?

I have and 1992 vintage AQ series duo prop.

Thx

The Volvo OEM manual makes no mention of adhesive for either bellows, while the MERC one does. I've owned and maintained Volvo I/O powered boats since 1964 and have ALWAYS installed them dry. I just made sure that the surfaces that the bellows mated to were scrupulously clean and smooth. And I've always only used VOLVO OEM bellows, especially for the drive shaft....with the special Volvo provided band clamps.

Thanks. I do have Volvo OEM parts. It looks to me that the drive bellow might have had something on one end. I'll just clean it up really well since the drive is off the boat.

Tom

The AQ series Volvo Penta drive shaft and exhaust bellows are beaded.
The bead seals into and against the bead grove.
No need for any sealant if the grove is clean.

Use the OEM Euro style band clamps...... not the other style with the cut bands!

On a slightly different but related issue: I recently purchased a Sierra drive bellows for my AQ131A/275. The Sierra bellows has a spring installed lengthwise in the bellows, but no "top/bottom" designation that I can find. Should the spring be installed facing down (my assumption...) or up? Thanks.

The AQ series drive shaft bellows will have a spiral shaped wire in the interior, as to help prevent collapsing and to help hold it's shape.

I'm not aware of any spring that would be inside.

shopping

Back