Logo

2009 Yamaha F115XTR not starting. Could use some ideas

kuttysark

Hi everyone. Thanks for having a look at my post.

I ran my boat today for ~2 hours. It's a used Defiance, new to me. Only my second time out. Boat sat for ~ a year before I got into it, and I let it sit another 6 months. Today the Yamaha F115 cut out twice coming back down from higher revs to idle (neutral) but started right up immediately. Not a big problem. Until the third time when it cut out and wouldnt fire back up. Got a tow back to the ramp. Got it home.
1. Has fuel pressure to the bulb
2. Cranks all day long. I put the charger on it anyhow but the two batteries are new and throw plenty of juice.
3. An older, non-functioning Auto-tether is still installed, even though the handheld sensor had a battery leak, nuked the plastic battery holder and I can't get auto-tether customer support to respond to let me buy a new one. The lanyard is still installed and the yammie ran without it.
4. Plenty of oil, clean.
5. Always squirted water. Good pressure.

So I figured fouled plugs. We're about to be in a curfew (thanks looters!) so no replacing them tonight but I did pull all 4, inspect (not great), hit with some sand paper and reinstalled. Cranks but won't start.

Maybe the beating outside knocked some life into the auto-tether?

Clogged injectors?

Fishing line sucked into the impeller, it melted, overheated (no warnings) and it's new motor time?

Anyhow, I'd love any ideas you have. My career temporarily does not exist (thanks Covid) so I'm hoping to fix this myself.

Back