Logo

Verifying a bad ignition module before ordering

NCretired

Hello all,
New on here, looks fun.
I'm quite experienced with gas engines overall, but new to outboard motors....some help please?

6 HP, 2 Cyl, 2 Str, pull start:

Won't start, no firing at all, even with starting fluid. Pull both plugs, no flooding. Ground plugs to the block....get no spark at either one. They are both new plugs.

I figure this has to be an ignition module. Each cylinder has it's own coil, and no way both coils went bad together. But, is there a way VERIFY that it is the ignition module before ordering? I could be a bad electrical connection feeding the ignition module for example.

Additional: This brings up something more general that I would sure like to get some help with...I am used to working on engines with a battery start, so if I had an ignition problem like above, I would turn the ignition switch on and use a voltmeter to go over the ignition system and make sure I had power everywhere I should. But with pull start engines you don't have this luxury. You only get voltage for a couple of seconds as you pull the rip chord - so what general troubleshooting changes do you use, if any?

Also, if this outboard were electric start, could I then turn the ignition on and do the tracing like I'm used to aid in troubleshooting? I assume so...which means that troubleshooting pull start outboard engine becomes different than troubleshooting an electric start outboard if an ignition problem is the issue. Comments on my thinking?

Thanks in advance - it is so fun to me to learn to engines and the skills needed to work on them.

Last edited:
Back