Logo

90 hp Johnson

Jachey

Hello all,

I'm running a 05 90 hp Johnson that clogged up the thermostats with sand.
I ran aground on a sandbar. I just installed a new water pump and impeller. Is it typical to clog up the thermostats or should they flush themselves out?

Hello all,

I'm running a 05 90 hp Johnson that clogged up the thermostats with sand.
I ran aground on a sandbar. I just installed a new water pump and impeller. Is it typical to clog up the thermostats or should they flush themselves out?
I would suggest you remove thermostat cap,spring,and thermostats. Run on the water (can be done on trailer at ramp) you can watch water flow,wash off the thermos,spring,cap.reinstall. No water flow,inspect waterpump.

I would suggest you remove thermostat cap,spring,and thermostats. Run on the water (can be done on trailer at ramp) you can watch water flow,wash off the thermos,spring,cap.reinstall. No water flow,inspect waterpump.

Did that at home with the muffs. Good water flow. Did find the thermostats clogged and apparently the port temp switch failed too. Still shows hot after hours have passed. I unplugged it and jumped the wire. Hot light went out. I ordered a new switch. I'm wondering if the thermostats will clog again if I run aground again. I assume it's not a great idea to run it without them installed.

Back