Logo

96 johnson 90HP

ffej3580

Hoping for some help here. 96 Johnson 90hp starts runs fine. Give it WOT and runs for about 300 feet and bogs down like it is starving for fuel. Pull throttle back and idles beautiful. I rebuilt the VRO and it did the same thing. I then removed the VRO and replaced it with a simple fuel pump and ran pre-mix with another tank and it did the same thing. Is there something telling it to shut down for some reason? Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Have you looked at the water pump impeller ?----Or what happens when your assistant operates the manual pump ?----The VRO operates with pressure pulses from the crankcase , so perhaps there is an issue there.----There are 2 different models of 90 HP in 96 , so model # should be posted.----Just curious here.----What trouble shooting was done to lead you to rebuild the VRO pump ?

Sorry model # is J9OTLEDA. I just felt is was running out of fuel. so i started at the fuel pump. Installing the simple fuel pump ruled out gas lines and VRO something else is shutting it down,

Changing parts on a hunch gets expensive in a hurry.----Post the results of a compression test.---First thing to do in trouble shooting !

Back